More Short Story Starters
2 Comments »18th September, 2007; Category: Short Story Starters, Writing Hints
Sometimes writers want to write but they just don’t know what to write about. Sometimes the brain goes into neutral and you just can’t think up a topic. Over the last year or so I’ve written a series of articles listing some short story starters. These are designed to help other writers get going again with their writing. Feel free to use these ideas in your own writing.
Short Story Starters:
- Mary stopped suddenly. On the path not five metres from he was a curled up snake. She stifled a scream. Her first impulse was to….
- Neville strode confidently on to the stage. He was ready for anything. Just as he was about to open his mouth, a…..
- Olivia never like James. His habit of….
- Peter came unexpectedly around the corner. Both Amy and Bob stared in disbelief. Where….
- Roberta knew she was going to be late for the meeting. She hurried from the lift, down the corridor and then paused at the door. She took a deep breath, composed her thoughts and opened the door. She…
- Sam was at it again. Steve never quite knew what to do but it annoyed him intensely. Sam’s habit of…
- Teresa felt fear creeping through her body. This could not be happening. She took a hesitant step towards…
Conditions of use:
- Feel free to use any of the story starters listed above. Change anything to suit your needs.
- Give it your best shot.
- Edit your work carefully before sending it off to a publisher or posting it on your blog.
- Let me know in the comments section how it went.
- If you publish your story on your web site or on your blog let me know so I can make a link to it for others to read.
More story ideas:
There are many more ideas in my archives similar to these. Click here to read them.
[…] Well, my fine feathered friends, have you ever heard of â€œstory startersâ€? One of my down-under friends, Trevor Hampel, occasionally posts a group of them on his blog, Trevorâ€™s Writing. Hereâ€™s a few example story starters he came up with a while back (all from this post.) […]
Hey this was a really good website I put some starters up on the whiteboard at school and I got great stories from the kids