More short story starters
Over the many years of writing articles on this site, I have written many posts listing what I call Short Story Starters. They have proved to be some of the most popular articles that I have written.
One of the frustrating things that sometimes faces writers is coming up with ideas. These story starters aim to prompt your thinking so that a story flows easily from the way I have started it off. Sometimes, that it all we need – just a simple starting point and the creative mind kicks in and the imagination soars like an eagle. I hope one (or more) of these writing prompts help you to soar, too.
How to use these starters
Read through the list of suggestions. Choose one that you think you can use. Start your story using the idea you have chosen, changing anything you want. Start on your story and write, write, write.
Hint: Don’t edit your work at this early stage: JUST WRITE. The editing stage comes later.
Short Story Starters:
- Ali couldn’t decide which book to read next – the page-turning thriller or the murder mystery. She…
- Callum grabbed the letters from his mailbox. He shuffled through them until he came to the envelope he had been expecting now for over a week.
- Eloise couldn’t believe her eyes. What was her best friend carrying?
- After the party, Grant was totally confused by the events which had just taken place.
- It wasn’t like Harry to forget an appointment, but on this occasion, it was quite understandable.
- Josh and Jerry were inseparable friends until the day Kevin entered their lives.
- A sudden crash woke Loretta from her deep sleep. She sat up in bed, grogginess swirling in her head.
- She stopped, looked back and saw Margie following her. ‘Go away!’ she shouted. Margie kept coming closer.
- As the train loomed closer, Paul accelerated frantically.
- Despite searching all over the house, Rowena could not find her cat.
More short story starters and writing prompts:
You can find many more ideas for writing stories here.
Conditions of use:
- Feel free to use any of the story starters listed above.
- Change anything to suit your needs.
- Give it your best shot.
- Edit your work carefully before sending it off to a publisher or posting it on your blog.
- Let me know in the comments section how it went.
- If you publish your story on your web site or on your blog let me know so I can make a link to it for others to read.