Taking care of myself
I love writing.
- That’s why I’m a writer.
- That’s why I struggled over the last three years to finish my Master of Arts (Creative Writing).
- That’s why I write regularly on this site (and my other two sites – see the links at the bottom of the page).
- That’s why I write every day or so in my personal journal.
- That’s why I write short stories.
- That’s why I write novels.
- That’s why I write poems.
Sometimes, however, a writer needs to take time out from writing and attend to other life matters. Over recent weeks I’ve been attending to various health issues. These have included:
- An appointment with my optician: I needed new glasses.
- Checking with my eye specialist to see if I need a cataract operation: I don’t.
- A visit to my diabetes nurse educator: for some good information about diet.
- Having a check up with my GP who suggested I have one of my regular blood tests: no problems there.
- Having my six monthly chest x-ray for a certain condition I have: had a good result.
- A dental appointment which resulted in a tooth extraction and a major filling job last week.
I am having few problem with the last item, so back I go to the dentist this afternoon to check on that.
It is important for everyone, not just writers, to look after their health. When I am sick, or have a continuing health issue, I can’t be giving my full attention to my writing, a focus it deserves.
Hope all goes well this afternoon.