Some benefits of blogging
The more I write posts here on this site and on my other two sites (here and here), the more I find that I’m invited to speak about my passions: travel, writing and birding. I had another request yesterday to talk about Australian birds but I had to turn it down due to a lecturing commitment.
Today I had the delight and privilege of talking about blogging. I was the guest lecturer at the university where I already lecture, Tabor Adelaide. This was where I completed my Master of Arts in Creative Writing recently (read about that course here).
As regular readers of this site would know, I’ve been blogging now for almost 7 years. Over that time I’ve learned a few things about blogging and enjoy many of the benefits of this writing genre. One of the unexpected spin-offs of blogging has been speaking to various community groups. During my lecture I highlighted some of the other unexpected benefits:
Unexpected benefits of blogging
- Having my photographs published in some unexpected places.
- Earning some income from my photographs.
- Seeing my poems, stories and articles published in some quite unexpected places.
- Building a sense of community amongst readers of my sites.
- The many comments on my articles from people all over the world.
Other benefits of blogging
These benefits are in addition to the better known benefits of blogging:
- Improving my writing skills; the more your write, the better you get at it.
- Feedback from readers in the way of comments.
- The creation of some income.
- The opening up of various opportunities.