Sixteen Scintillating Short Story Starters
Here is a short list of sixteen super, scintillating, stunning and simply sensational short story starters for writers. Try them. Let me know how they go – and if you get anything published – good luck.
And if you should be blessed enough to get a royalty cheque or two, you can send me a commision for the idea!
Sixteen Scintillating Short Story Starters:
- “It was a dark and stormy…” oops – that’s been used before.
Let’s start again…
- Harry was puzzled when the door didn’t open.
- The headlights were coming straight towards Peter and he couldn’t move.
- Only the flimsy wall of my tent separated me from the low rumbling growl.
- I was not expecting what was waiting for me just as I rounded the corner.
- Rosalie stifled her scream and cowered under the blanket.
- Those last few steps seemed the most difficult I had ever made in my life.
- As I read the contents of the letter, I was aware of the smile on my face.
- It happened so quickly I had no time to think, only react.
- Jenny finally became agitated by the monotonous ticking of the ornate clock on the mantlepiece.
- John stared open-mouthed as the ball soared majestically over the fence.
- Wendy didn’t see the danger ahead.
- Paul couldn’t resist shouting out his joy.
- The eagle swooped low over the trees.
- I didn’t know until that moment that Nell was so afraid of spiders.
- Greg closed his eyes, took a deep breath, and jumped.
- It was not the birthday gift I was expecting.
Just to show how generous I can be, here is a bonus idea:
- Suddenly, nothing happened – but it happened suddenly.
- Seven short story starters – ideas for writing
- Seven more short story starters – more ideas for writing
- Another seven short story starters – still more ideas
Check out my other blogs:
Update: for a complete list of my short story starters click here.