Short Story Starters
Here is another list of my ever popular Short story Starters. Use them free of charge in whatever way you like. Perhaps they could be used as warm up activities before a day of writing. Or you might want to use one of them to write a short story for a magazine or a competition. Or the suggestion may jog a memory from long ago that you had forgotten to write about. Change any words you don’t like. Whatever.
- The screeching noise was definitely coming from outside. It made my hair stand on end. I opened the door and…
- The scratching noise at the window was persistent. In a fog of sleepiness I opened my eyes and…
- The rhythmic knocking next door was starting to get to the annoying level. It was now past midnight. What could be making….
- It started around three in the morning I think, that low whining noise that I could not ignore.
- The sudden crash woke me instantly. It was the kind of noise one just has to investigate. I was not prepared for what I found….
- As I sat up in bed I was suddenly aware of footsteps on the staircase.
- The floorboards above my head were creaking now. This was getting just a little too spooky for my liking. Then I realised that my room was on the top floor.
There you go. Mmmm… there seems to be a theme running though those suggestions.
Now get to that writing.
For more Short Story Starters click here.
Conditions of use:
- Feel free to use any of the story starters listed above. Change anything to suit your needs.
- Give it your best shot.
- Edit your work carefully before sending it off to a publisher or posting it on your blog.
- Let me know in the comments section how it went.
- If you publish your story on your web site or on your blog let me know so I can make a link to it for others to read.