Seven Short Story Starters
16 Comments »28th September, 2006; Category: Short Stories, Short Story Starters, Writing Hints
The last time I wrote a list of Sixteen Scintillating Short Story Starters they were very popular – if my site stats are to be believed. It seems plenty of people were looking for story ideas.
So here goes with a new list, this time only seven. Why only seven? I’m tired, I’ve been busy and the day is going quickly. If this is not enough, let me know in the comments section and I’ll try to do more next week.
If the brain is not overloaded too much!
Seven Short Story Starters:
- I think I shall never forget Angela. Especially that fateful day when she…
- John is not one to suffer fools easily. Only last week he…
- “How could you do that?” asked Jennifer. “I always thought that you…”
- I didn’t realise I was so close to the railway track until I heard the roar of the engine bearing down on where I stood crouched. How could I…
- “Stop!” interrupted Tim. “I think I can see the problem. Why don’t we…”
- “There is no use running. There is nowhere to go.” Don paused to allow his statement to sink in. “You might as well sit down and rest. Then we…”
- I’d never seen an elephant outside of a zoo. As I faced the monster in front of me…
- Feel free to use any of the story starters listed above.
- Give it your best shot.
- Edit your work carefully before sending it off to a publisher or posting it on your blog.
- Let me know in the comments section how it went.
- If you publish your story on your web site or on your blog let me know so I can make a link to it for others to read.
[…] Seven short story starters – ideas for writing […]
[…] few days ago I wrote a list of seven short story starters for anyone with writer’s block to use. I hope they inspired someone to write an absolutely […]
[…] Seven Short Story Starters […]
Good on you Trevor, keep up the good work!!!
keep it up!
Your story starters are really good and are helpful when im writing a story. Ever since I was little, i wanted to wrote a book but it never happened. I’ve started a story with the help of your starters so KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK!
Thanks Awesome. I am pleased you found them useful. I’m currently working on many more similar story starters. Stayed tuned.
realise isn’t spelt wrong
In number four of the short story starters, I would like to point out that realize is spelled wrong. Anyways, these are some very good suggestions for starting a short story!
Thanks for visiting my site about writing.
The spelling for here in Australia is correct: “realize” is the American spelling.
Here in Australia we tend to follow British spelling, namely “realise.”
Heehee there’s A CHUBBY ELEPHANT
I would like to thank you so much for making this website! It was very helpful and useful to me and helped me to make great short stories!
Wow these are realy helpfull. Befor this I was just siting for long time thinking… I like to write stories but I am bad idea thinker… Thank you so much. (sory for my bad english)
Hi, I’m a YA (Young Author) currently writing two novels, and I’m constantly getting writer’s block and then I stumbled across this website thanks for the help!
These story ideas are thrilling i used it in lots of my short story.
Now i wanna thank you for making such as these helpful websites.
Thank you for your kind words Sadaf.