Are you afraid to write?
No Comments »20th December, 2006; Category: Blogging, Blogs, The Writer's Life, Writing Hints
I’d never thought about being afraid of writing until I read an article on Angela Booth’s Writing Blog. But when I thought about it there is quite a deal of anxiety surrounding the writer’s life.
Some of these fears could include:
- Fear of starting – call it writer’s block, procrastination or whatever, this fear plagues so many writers.
- Fear of finishing – never sure that the written piece is good enough to be thought worthy of being published, constant revising being the symptom.
- Fear of rejection – never sending any manuscripts off to publishers because you might be rejected.
- Fear of ridicule – putting out some of your writing into the public arena is like undressing in a shopping mall; people will see you for what you really are, warts and all.
- Fear of Success – perverse as it might seem this is a very real fear. Some people are genuinely afraid of the demands of being in the spotlight, of being public property and being seen as a role model. It is the same kind of fear that makes strong men shake in terror when a microphone is placed in their hands.
- Fear of Writing – five tips to calm you down from Angela Booth’s Writing Blog.
Related articles worth reading:
- Overcoming writer’s block – some hints
- Maintaining Motivation as a writer and blogger – some more tips.
- Procrastination and the writer – further hints.