Writing prompts – who is this woman?
No Comments »9th March, 2016; Category: Writing prompts, Fiction, Short Fiction, Short Story Starters
Who is this woman?
That is the main question I am posing for this series of writing prompts. I should add that I know who she is, and what she was doing in this photo, but I will keep that to myself. I don’t want the ‘truth’ to influence your creativity in any way.
Possible writing ideas
Below is a list of possible ideas or prompts for your writing. You can follow any one of them in your writing endeavours, or you can take an entirely different tack to any I have suggested.
Over to you:
- Who is the woman in the photo? Describe her and imagine her background, writing a fictional biography of her.
- What is she doing? Write a descriptive piece about what she is doing, or has just done, or is about to do.
- Why is she smiling? Write a short story – even a flash fiction piece – giving the back story of what has caused her to be so happy.
- What the significance of the way she is dressed? Do some research on the different ways of dressing in different cultures, and write a report on your findings. Or use this information to give colour to a story you are writing set in that culture.
- Write a poem about this woman – perhaps an ode, or a sonnet of admiration.
- Write a short story in the first person starting with the words: “I thought I would never see the day when I…”
- Incorporate in a short story a significant event in the life of this imagined woman, making sure that the date palms in the background play an important role in the story.
- Write a personal account of a time when you visited an exotic destination. What did you see and experience, how did you feel, and why do you want to return?
- Write about a time when you saw a person dressed in an unusual or a memorable way. Describe your reaction. How did your encounter change you, or make you feel?
- Write about a time when you dressed in a special way for a party, and how you felt. Imagine that you were the only one dressed in a costume, and how that made you feel. Craft these feelings into a short story, or even the opening section of a novel.
More writing prompts
You can access many more prompts for writing here.
And you can find many hundreds of short story starters here.