Short story starters
Today I have added another set of short story starters.
Just choose one of them and use it as the first sentence in a short story.
1. As Don turned the corner, he was surprised to see who was standing next to his car.
2. Fiona stopped and stared at the bush in the corner of her auntie’s garden.
3. In the rush to get to the football ground in time for the match, Harry had quite forgotten one, extremely important detail.
4. On reflection, Joel should have seen this argument coming.
5. As Lorna hobbled up the path to her front door, she pondered on the events of this important, life-changing day.
6. Twelve years ago Nola would not have reacted in this way, but things had changed – and not for the better.
7. Peta had quite forgotten her father’s advice and blazed ahead regardless.
8. Without a moment’s hesitation Ross slipped the envelope through the slot in the door.
9. As Toni walked across the stage to the lectern, she was sure about only one thing.
10. The clock ticking on the wall reminded Wendy that her time was slipping away rapidly.
You can find more short story starters here and more writing prompts here.
Conditions of use:
- Feel free to use any of the story starters listed above. Change anything to suit your needs.
- Give it your best shot.
- Edit your work carefully before sending it off to a publisher or posting it on your blog.
- Let me know in the comments section how it went.
- If you publish your story on your web site or on your blog let me know so I can make a link to it for others to read.