Resolution #1: I want to be a better writer
How are your New Year’s Resolutions going?
Haven’t you seen the calendar – it’s March! That’s right – I know.
So how are those resolutions made in January going? Did you write down that you want to be a better writer?
Becoming a better writer is something every writer, from the one just beginning to the well-published author wants to achieve. Weaving mesmerizing tales is what we want to do best. Nothing brings joy to our hearts faster than having a reader say “I couldn’t put it down!”
But what does becoming a better writer mean? The meaning varies from writer to writer.
The problem with resolutions is that they are often nice sounding words – but not really goals. You see, goals are measurable. “Becoming a better writer” is not really a goal. How do you measure it?
Becoming a better anything – writer, athlete, teacher, artist – whatever – is only realised by practising. Then practising some more, then more yet. There are many ways of improving your writing, and here is a list of some strategies that have worked for me:
Goals that will improve my writing:
- I will write for at least 30 minutes each day.
- I will write at least 200 words each day.
- I will read at least 3 books or magazines about writing this year.
- I will attend one writers’ conference this year.
- I will attend one seminar or workshop for writers this year.
- I will write one poem or story every week.
Don’t get too hung up about the numbers or examples I have used; they are just a guide. Change the numbers to suit your situation and experience. And stick at it. Keep going for at least three weeks; research has shown that it takes 21 days to develop a new habit, so stick at it.
Above all: just do it!
- My writing goals for 2007 – yes, I’ll be honest: I’m doing really well on the first four and hopelessly on the last four. Time for a review I think.
- Good blogging habits – this was written with blogging in mind but has much in common with writing habits.
[…] I want to be a better writer – useful hints from my archives. […]