My life is a work in progress
It has been a while since I last posted an article here.
Sorry if you have missed me.
I have just realised that my life is a work in progress. Well, to be truthful, I’ve probably known that for a long time, but I wasn’t really going to admit it. Not at my age anyway. It takes me back to the days in the 1980s when our church put on a production of “Kids Under Construction.” The whole premise of the story was that, no matter what age we were, God is not finished with us yet. We all have some constructing to undergo. None of can say with authority that we’ve arrived!
Hair? What hair?
In the play I took the role of a grandfather. My hair was more copious than today as was my luxuriant beard (which I don’t bother to grow these days). Both were sprayed grey – almost silver – and when I came on stage looking all of 40 years older than my real age, my poor wife nearly collapsed in shock! Now my hair – or what is left of it – is growing progressively greyer and thinner. (My 6yo grandson loves to call me “baldy”. Cheeky boy.)
Work in Progress
We could indeed say that our lives are a work in progress. Writers also talk about their current “work in progress” (WIP) when referring to their current writing project. I often have several projects on the go at once which causes a few problems. More than a few. I often jump from one to the other. When other responsibilities also jump into the ring, I find myself juggling many balls at once. In no time at all my life looks like a three-ring circus with multiple things happening all the same time.
Get the picture?
It’s not pretty. Send in the clowns. There have to be clowns.
But there is some good news – and the inevitable bad news.
I have been working on the following projects:
- Posting more regularly on my Trevor’s Birding site (click here). This site is all about one of my passions – observing and photographing Australian birds. It has become an obsessive hobby.
- Posting more regularly on the Trevor’s Travels site (click here). This site is about another of my passions: travel. I write about and show photos of my travels here in Australia, as well as trips overseas to Thailand, Nepal, Morocco, Ethiopia and Spain. More are in the planning stages.
- Posting more regularly here on this site, including more short stories, more poems, more articles about writing, more reviews of what I am reading, and more articles on a whole range of topics.
- Publishing here on this site more writing prompts and short story starters.
- Preparing stories and poems for submission to various journals, magazines and competitions.
Even better news
- I am about to launch into eBooks, So many of the manuscripts resting peacefully in my computer memory will be getting a nasty shock. They will be sent out into the wild, wild world to fend for themselves under the glare of critical readers and lovely people everywhere.
- Be kind to them. Love them – or hate them, they are coming. You have been warned.
Now the bad news
- All of this will take time.
- And effort.
- You may need to be patient with me.
- Some noise may escape from the construction site.
- Sometime – I haven’t the faintest idea where I will find the time – I will begin work on several new major novels which have been simmering away on the back… no, that’s wrong. I haven’t even switched on the cooker yet. [Sigh]