How to increase your blog readership: participate in carnivals
One very effective technique I’ve used to increase the readership on my blogs is to participate in various carnivals relevant to the topic of each blog. Carnivals are an excellent way of getting exposure in your particular niche.
I see the following benefits:
- People in your niche become aware of your blog.
- It is a good source of developing incoming links.
- You discover other blogs in your niche and by reading their blogs you discover new ways of writing about and presenting your subject.
- Many of those reading your blog for the first time will leave comments.
- You become part of the community in your niche.
While I don’t see huge inflows of traffic from participating in carnivals, I do see a strong bond of loyalty from those who participate in the carnivals. We visit each other’s blogs frequently, we leave relevant comments and we make links back to each others articles where relevant.
- Trevor’s Birding – from the archives of my birding blog.
- Trevor’s Travels – from the archives of my travel blog.
- Blog Carnivals – an index of over 2000 carnivals for bloggers on many different topics.
- 31 days to building a better blog 2007 – the inspiration for this post came from this article by Darren Rowse.
UPDATE: I have written a follow up article in answer to the questions left by people commenting on this post. It is called:Â How to participate in blog carnivals – I hope this answers a few questions.