Writing prompt – what’s their story?
During our visit to the capital of Morocco we stopped briefly at the Mausoleum of Mohammed V in Rabat. This was one of many beautiful buildings we saw during our tour.
Just before we went inside, I took several photos of some Moroccan women talking. They were attired in what I assume was the standard of dress in that area.
- What is their story?
- Why have they come to visit the mausoleum?
- What did Mohammed V mean to them?
- Why is the little boy fascinated by me taking a photo of them?
- Write a poem from the point of view of the curious little boy.
- Write a short story from your point of view with a focus on the death of someone you admire, triggered by visiting this memorial.
- Let your imagination fly in any direction as a result of seeing these photos.
Writing prompt: the secluded garden
While on a tour of the Kasbah des Oudaias, Rabat, Morocco we went through this delightful secluded garden, walled in on all sides by the walls of an ancient fortress.
Imagine being there two, four or even six hundred years ago.
Writing prompt: transport your mind back a few centuries or so. Imagine what life was like in a different era, a different culture and in an exotic location like Morocco. Give your imagination full rein to think of exciting scenarios in this exotic location. Imagine colourful characters living in this era, and the possibility of marauding hordes trying to take over the city, only to be thwarted by the strong walls of defence.
Or perhaps a romantic and secret assignation between lovers in this garden in the light of the moon.
Drumming up a story
During our visit to Rabat, the capital city of Morocco, we went to see part of the old fortified city. As we alighted from our bus this colourful character came towards us banging on his drum. This was obviously part of the experience of visiting this spot, but our guide didn’t explain why the drummer was there. He was also trying to drum up business, but I was too mean-spirited to give him a tip. Seeing he knew I had taken a photo of his, he was probably a little miffed that I didn’t give him a tip.
Writing prompt: use your imagination to tell the following:
- What is this man’s story?
- Where has he come from, and what is his background?
- Why is he dressed in this way?
- What significance has the drum?